By Elena Ivanova
Originally released in Russian in 2006, this can be the 1st English translation of this crucial ebook on paleoceanography and paleoclimatology. Its preliminary booklet was once by way of a surge of curiosity during this topic prompting the writer to revise and translate her unique paintings. within the booklet, she effectively summarizes her personal study over contemporary years and compiles an outline of up to date wisdom on prior ocean circulation.
The key subject matters include:
- smooth thermohaline movement and major phases of its improvement throughout the Cenozoic
- equipment and proxies of paleoceanographic reconstruction
- Variability of the meridional overturning move and paleoceanographic occasions within the North Atlantic over the last climatic cycle
- impression of the worldwide thermohaline flow on paleoceanographic occasions within the Eurasian Arctic seas, the Northern Indian Ocean, and the South China Sea
- The function of the thermohaline circulate in worldwide teleconnections within the Antarctic, Eurasian Arctic, northern Pacific and occasional latitudes Indo-Pacific.
Comprehensive research of hundreds of thousands of foreign courses and her personal effects, confident the writer that the worldwide thermohaline stream controls the distant teleconnections on millennial-scale and in part on centennial-scale, whereas momentary weather signs are customarily transferred through the atmosphere.
This revised and prolonged English version offers the newest unpublished facts, new figures and modeling effects. The broad reference record comprises greater than 800 courses and one hundred forty new references.
Dr. Elena V. Ivanova is Senior learn Scientist and head of the Paleoceanography crew on the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Shirshov Institute of Oceanology in Moscow. She is a member of the Russian Paleontological Society, The Micropaleontological Society, the yankee Geophysical Union, and used to be a Russian consultant in photographs (the overseas Marine worldwide swap research) from 1998 to 2007. during this booklet she reports the information amassed in the course of 10 marine cruises together with the photographs MONA cruise and a Russian-Norwegian cruise within the Barents Sea in 2004, the place she served as a major Scientist.